2014 Ram 1500 vs. 2014 Chevrolet Silverado
You have probably been hearing a lot about the 2014 Ram 1500 lately. That’s because it is one of the most exciting light-duty trucks to hit the market in a while. To see what all the talk is about, head from Lethbridge to Jackson Dodge in Medicine Hat, AB. Trust us when we say that you’ll want to experience this truck in person. To illustrate how impressive it really is, we have put together this comparison of the new Ram 1500 and the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado.
Both the 2014 Ram 1500 and the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado have V6 and V8 engine options available, but the Ram has three total options compared to the Silverado’s two. The Ram comes with a six-speed automatic transmission or the efficient TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic — the only eight-speed automatic in the class. The Silverado offers a six-speed automatic but no other options. The most powerful engine choices for each are:
- Ram 1500 – 5.7L HEMI VVT V8 that puts out 395 hp and 410 lb-ft of torque.
- Silverado – 5.3L V8 that puts out 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque.
Both these trucks are designed to handle big loads, long miles, and the challenges of any job site. But when you need every ounce of capability at your disposal, the 2014 Ram 1500 delivers more.
- Torque – 420 lb-ft (with EcoDiesel engine)
- Fuel Economy – 10.2 L/100 km city and 7.1 L/100 km highway (with EcoDiesel engine)
- Torque – 416 lb-ft (with EcoTec3 5.3L V8 engine)
- Fuel Economy – 13.0 L/100 km in the city and 8.7 L/100 km on the highway (with EcoTec3 5.3L V8 engine)
Features and Technology
The 2014 Ram 1500 and the 2014 Chevy Silverado both come outfitted with a range of features, options, and advanced technologies for Lethbridge drivers to enjoy. But when you think about the features that you most need and want, the Ram has all of them and the Silverado only has some of them. Rather than relying on gimmicks and flashy distractions, get the features you will actually use on daily basis:
- Sound System – The Ram comes standard with AM/FM/satellite radio and pumps the sound through 6 speakers. The Silverado only has AM/FM radio and 4 speakers.
- Brake Assist – This feature is only available on the Ram, and ensures that you have optimum levels of stopping power even on a steep descent or with a heavy trailer behind you.
- TorqueFlite Transmission – We already mentioned that this is the only eight-speed automatic transmission available in the class. We didn’t mention the uniquely close gearing ratio in gears 5 through 8 that helps you access the power you need without burning extra gas unnecessarily, something that can conserve fuel for those trips around Regina and beyond.
- Active-Grille Shutters – This segment-exclusive feature of the Ram 1500 opens and closes depending on driving conditions to deliver air to the engine while minimizing aerodynamic drag.
If your pickup is more of a tool than a mode of transportation, you are going to encounter some hazards. With similar safety scores, you can count on both of these trucks to keep you safe in the event of a collision.
Are You Ready for a New Truck?
The Silverado is an impressive machine, but we have to give the edge to the 2014 Ram 1500. For daily usage, it is the truck you would prefer to be driving. To take one of out for a test run, visit Jackson Dodge at 1500 Strachan Rd. S.E. in Medicine Hat, AB, just a little over 2 hours from Lethbridge via AB-3. Let us know you are headed to Medicine Hat, and we will have a 2014 Ram 1500 ready and waiting for you.